Proper Tool to Drain Gearbox

Phil Rose pjrose at
Sun Aug 8 10:42:54 EDT 2004

At 6:22 PM -0400 8/7/04, The Corbs wrote:
>Looks like a 17mm allen key.  Couldn't find one locally so tried to make a
>tool using bolt and nuts.
>Found that the plugs have been screwed in so tight that the nuts keep coming
>loose before the plug.
>Any tricks or source for the right tool?

I bought mine when a Snap-On truck was making its rounds at a local 
auto repair shop. However I don't seem to find the tool listed in the 
their on-line catalog. I had also tried your "nut and bolt" 
approach-- unsuccessfully.

The driving tip of a proper tool is less than 1' long. As I recall, 
there isn't much "headroom" for a long key (plus more chance to 
insert at wrong angle and strip the plug) so avoid getting a driver 
having excessive length. If you can locate a 17 mm Allen wrench at 
Sears (available, according to Kneale), using a piece of it--inserted 
into a 17 mm socket--could be a useful alternative.

BTW, I'm sure you'll not make the mistake of removing a drain plug 
before getting the filler plug loose, will you? ;-)


Phil Rose
Rochester, NY
mailto:pjrose at

More information about the 200q20v mailing list