Rear Brakes

Bernie Benz b.benz at
Sun Aug 8 23:13:41 EDT 2004

> From: "Derek Pulvino" <dbpulvino at>
> Ok, I've got the Bernie method rear brake low pad indicator going.  Looks
> like the caliper is going to need some refurbishment as well as on the
> driver side rear, the inside pad is worn, but the outside pad has much life
> left.
Indicating that your caliper guide pins are not free.  Check boots and
regrease them.  If you check pads when you change summer to winter wheels
you can reverse the pads, inside to outside, to maximumize their useful

>I read through the information on rear calipers on Chris's site and
> it looks pretty straightforward.  Any other btdt that I might want to be
> warry of before I jump in? Seal or boot kits recomended to purchase?
Not necessary, unless you have a torn boot.

> Also looks like by cleaning everything up, I should get a functioning
> e-brake again, true?
Likely so, unless the lever shaft seal has been leaking for too long.
> Can someone confirm that even though this sounds really ugly, it's not going
> to damage the long as I don't let go like this for a long time?
Long time, meaning what?  You don't get the message?