Brake upgrade questions

Rbade12 at Rbade12 at
Wed Aug 25 17:25:04 EDT 2004

All this rear brake stuff of late, got me to thinking about the them
[they're fine after a new boot kit] and the fronts. I have UFO's which work  well, a
bit of a shimmy above 70, but, upon close inspection, the passenger side
piston boot had 2 tears [I sealed with RTV] and both rotors are probably 10k  from
the grave [much higher wear on both inners], so.....I've been to BIRA and
they suggest a pair of Porsche 996 4 piston monobloc calipers mated to Mercedes
V12 320mm by 30mm rotors. They claim it's a completely bolt on modification
[with 16" or larger wheels]. Does anyone have experience with this mod, or any
 other mod that works well? Does anyone know where to acquire the parts they
recommend ? The way I see it, with new UFO rotors running a least $200+ea.
[their impending warping included], I'd be better off putting the money toward
a  solid, conventional system. I plan on keeping the car for many years. Any
insight you folks could provide is appreciated!!!
Bob Bade   Franklin, Wi    91  200q20v     97k