disassembling 80/90/200 door handles

Ken Keith auditude at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 09:46:44 EST 2004

Hi Kneale,

If the pin you are referring to is what I think it is, that plastic
piece I was describing, I'm familiar with it.  Unfortunately, it's got
a piece that looks like it needs to be depressed so that it will be
able to be slid out.  It's like a hook or a catch, which slides in
easily but then sticks out and prevents it from coming back out.
There's a tiny hole that looks like I should be able to stick
something in there to depress this retaining catch to slide the pin

This is what I've been able to determine after looking at the one I
ripped open by force.  I would describe this pin as a flat blade type
piece, with a "nail head" type area at the end of it.  What the pin
does is slide into a groove in both the handle lever and its cover,
retaining the cover.  The retaining catch is near the nail head.

I'll have to see what the Bentley has to say/show about it.  I can't
explain why I didn't check it before trying to swap it or before
posting.  I wasn't expecting to have to swap the plates, only the
whole handles, and then when I got into it I didn't bother with the
Bentley.  I had the panel off, and was working with the two handles
side by side in my hands.  I managed to get one set swapped, but I
want to use more finesse for the other three and less butchering.

I'll check the instructions (!) and then see how it goes.