aha(fuel leak)

Brett Dikeman brett at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 3 17:13:07 EST 2004

Who says the archives aren't worth anything?

"Yet another recall was for a problem with the fuel filler neck that
allowed overfilling of fuel which would swamp out the charcoal
canister near the engine compartment and cause a fire when the excess
fuel came out the bottom of the canister and was ignited by the
exhaust system..."

Ding ding, we have a winner; I think the lister who commented about
thermal expansion was dead on the money(car was stone cold when
gassed up, then after an errand, brought into a fairly warm garage).

Anyone know how to check both the top electrical valve, and the
bottom drain?  I finally got the liner back enough to peek inside,
everything's clean and dry as a bone up top, but there's a nice large
drain at the bottom of the canister.

Lastly- Mark Chang pointed me to a site which mentions the canister
itself in most cars has a limited lifetime.  How much are these
little buggers?

What's normal operation for the valve(ie, under what specific
conditions is the valve opened)?