How many avants

Phil Rose pjrose at
Mon Jan 19 13:04:44 EST 2004

At 11:40 AM -0500 1/19/04, AUTOHAUS OF SOUTH FLORIDA wrote:
>How many 91 200 20v Avants were made ? How many imported to U.S. ?
>How do you use the VIN to determine where your car falls in the
>range ? My VIN: WAUHE5440MN005378

Your car is the 5,378th in the sequence of _all_ Audis with the
type-44 chassis made in the 1991 model year (i.e., the VIN sequence
number is not just for the 200q20V model). That sequence includes all
versions such as the 100, 200 automatic/FWD, quattro, MC/3B engines,
sedan, avant.

IIRC, the total for the ('91) model year is close to 30,000 cars, so
your's is actually a fairly "early build". The actual month of
production is stamped on the i.d. plate (below the door latch) on the
driver's B-pillar.

I don't recall the exact number of 200q20V avants imported in '91 MY,
but it's roughly 300, I think. There were approx. 900  20V sedans
imported in '91 MY. The total (worldwide) number of 1991 20V cars
made is a matter of some speculation, but I seem to recall coming to
the conclusion (from ETKA data) that it was about 4-5000 vehicles
(sedan+avant).  Don't forget that the type-44 vehicles with our 20V
(3B) engine also had a prior year of production (1990) for sale in

The total type-44 production figures are listed in a table in ETKA.
I'd look it up to get more precise figures, but I'm in the midst of
doing a computer upgrade and ETKA is temporarily unavailable to me.

If my numbers are off, I'm sure some one with better data will jump in...

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(140K, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (64K, Tornado red)			mailto:pjrose at