Shifter bushing refresh BTDT?

bill bleiler b_ill78 at
Mon Mar 15 16:59:39 EST 2004

I had the same problem, turned out to be the bushing between the rod that comes out of the tranny and the shift linkage, there is supposed to be a bushing there and mine had fallen out or just worn was like 10 bucks from my local dealership part number
431-711-221 or 431-711-223-a  i had to remove the end coming from the shifter to get the new bushing in......if you need any further info let me know

Peter Schulz <pcschulz at> wrote:

My shifter is about as precise as a wet noodle..
at 183k miles its evidently time to replace worn out parts.

Has anyone BTDT?

Peter Schulz
1990 CQ (perpetually awaiting S2 3b engine transplant)
1991 200 20v TQW indigo mica
1991 200 20v TQW titanium grey
Chelmsford, MA USA
peter at