Shifter bushing refresh BTDT?

Phil Rose pjrose at
Mon Mar 15 17:24:23 EST 2004

This job probably is (over)due for my Lago car at 144k. I suspect
that one of the symptoms (of bushing in need of R&R) is having a
significant amount of _vertical_ play in the shifter (i.e., can pull
upward on the shift knob and get 1/8" or more movement). I assume
that's caused by excessive bushing wear--that movement is mostly
absent in our 60k Tornado.

At 1:59 PM -0800 3/15/04, bill bleiler wrote:
>I had the same problem, turned out to be the bushing between the rod
>that comes out of the tranny and the shift linkage, there is
>supposed to be a bushing there and mine had fallen out or just worn
> was like 10 bucks from my local dealership part number
>431-711-221 or 431-711-223-a  i had to remove the end coming from
>the shifter to get the new bushing in......if you need any further
>info let me know
>Peter Schulz <pcschulz at> wrote:
>My shifter is about as precise as a wet noodle..
>at 183k miles its evidently time to replace worn out parts.
>Has anyone BTDT?

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(140K, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (64K, Tornado red)			mailto:pjrose at