German Auto Werks Chip For 20VQT

Schaible, David David.Schaible at
Mon May 17 10:21:50 EDT 2004

What does the various PT do for the stock boost gauge- accurate or need
to scale the reading??

David Schaible

JRS Pharma LP
2981 Rte 22
Patterson, NY 12563

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Schulz [mailto:pcschulz at]
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 12:30 AM
To: Conrad Spens; 200q20v at
Subject: Re: German Auto Werks Chip For 20VQT

I own the Lehman chipset that I sourced a number for years ago from
Anderson motorsport, I've driven a car with the Ned's IA 3+ chipset and
used the ECU in my car too, and I also am running Mihnea's chipset and
modified PT, and my grey wagon came with the TAP chipset, so i think
that I
can provide some constructive opinions.

First, there's alot to be said for support after the sale...especially
technical support.
I sent my ECU to Anderson for chip and Bosch 2.5 bar pressure transducer

installation. No problems with the modified ECU to speak of, but if I
to do something special, like a different exhaust, downpipe,  turbo,
injectors, they would have to outsource the development.

Ned's IA3+ , as far as I am concerned, sets the standard, especially if
are squeemish about handling the electronics..If you need something
special, Ned can work with you to modify the ECU...the mod provides
power and tapers off to prevent overspeeding the K24. Downside is the
PT is NLA from Bosch, Ned uses his own stock, and drives up the cost of
this ECU mod significantly. Not inexpensive.

TAP's chipset - to be honest, can not tell the difference from stock - I

swapped the 200 TAP ECU with a stock S2 ECU and could not tell the
difference performance -wise.

Mihnea's "hobby" chipset - I've known Mihnea for a few years and am very

happy with his mod. Price-wise its hard to beat, and he has been able to

help me with troubleshooting boost issues.  The big caveat is that this
a hobbyist mod, either you or someone else needs to open your ECU,
(de solder) and send the pressure transducer for modification ( you can
the car at 1.3 bar wastegate spring pressure while the PT is out) when
get the PT back, solder it into place and install the new chipset.
can also do special mapping for different injectors, turbos, cams,
exhausts, etc

Its your car and wallet, you have to make the final decision...

At 06:26 PM 5/14/2004, Conrad Spens wrote:
>Hello!  Does anyone here have personal experience with the chip being
>by German Auto Werks in Oregon?  They've been advertising them on eBay-
>bargin at around $350 I'm told.  Do you know anyone who has tried
>one?  Any other strong chip preferences?  Thanks so much!  Conrad
>200q20v mailing list
>200q20v at

Peter Schulz
1990 CQ (perpetually awaiting S2 3b engine transplant)
1991 200 20v TQW indigo mica
1991 200 20v TQW titanium grey
Chelmsford, MA USA
peter at