Schaible, David David.Schaible at
Wed Oct 20 13:49:26 EDT 2004

Pyrex glass is suitable for boiling water it most
work days....thermometer is recommended to see what temp it opens at if
it does open.....larger issue as phil says is being whipped ;-)....but
until you can correct that, boil it in the pyrex

David Schaible

JRS Pharma LP
2981 Rte 22
Patterson, NY 12563

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Rose [mailto:pjrose at]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 12:25 PM
To: Brandon Rogers
Cc: 200 20V List
Subject: Re: thermostat

At 9:42 AM -0600 10/20/04, Brandon Rogers wrote:
>I removed my t-stat last night under suspicion of it sticking.  I
>put it in Pyrex glass with hot tap water to get it warmed up, then
>poured boiling water in there, three separate times, including once
>after removing all less than boiling water and another time after
>running cold tap water over the part.  It never opened. (FWIW I did
>not put it in the pot directly cuz my wife would freak out if I
>  is there something wrong with my procedure?

Yes--IMO it needs one or _both_ of the following:

(1) Demand some "pot privileges" fer gosh sakes! Explain to your wife
that your thermostat is certainly more sanitary than most any of the
food items that typically go into the kitchen pots. Well yes it might
have a bit of toxic contamination, but that anti-freeze is completely
water soluble and will thoroughly rinse clean under the faucet in a
few minutes.

(2) Your testing method really ought to make use of a thermometer. An
oven (or a roasting) thermometer will nicely handle the temperature
range of interest--hopefully these are not forbidden tools. ;-)

Phil Rose
Rochester, NY
mailto:pjrose at
200q20v mailing list

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using
Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on
MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit