Hanging rear caliper Bernie says:

Ingo Rautenberg irautenberg at comcast.net
Mon Apr 18 00:10:47 EDT 2005

OK.  I have to agree with Bernie here.  There is no sideways force that
could cause the piston to be cockeyed.  Rather, a more likely scenario (and
the only plausible explanation) is this:  The piston is extended far enough
that when the caliper is removed, the piston hangs up on the pad (more
likely the spring clip) and once removed, has become cockeyed.