steering rack

melvin guyer melguy1 at
Fri Feb 4 16:18:31 EST 2005

Hi all,
this is my first post with a question. I have a 1991
Audi 200 20v with 66K miles, all original. My local
dealer tells me that the burning smell I reported is
from an oil leak from the power steering rack, onto
the catalytic converter. They tell me that a
replacement part will cost $1,030 and with labor (at
$85/hr) total repair will come to $1,600. I have no
reason to doubt their diagnosis of the problem, but
wondered about the part price. The folks at VM
Autohaus (a company whose name I learned from reading
messages from the Audi 200 group) quotes a much lower
part price. Any advice on what's the best course of
action for repair?

mel guyer

mel guyer

Do You Yahoo!?