Strut Tower rip

Peter Schulz pcschulz at
Wed Jan 26 15:22:15 EST 2005

The cracks on the passenger side tower tie in to the firewall in both my
avants have also moved beyond the hole that the factory saw fit to install
as a stress relief - they evidently expected a failure there but didnt see
fit to re enforce it.

Of course this is more pronounce on the Grey car, which has Eibach springs
and Bilstein sport struts.

I do have a set of C4 (S4/S6) Strut tower mounts that I will install once I
get my hands on a Brake Fluid reservoir that is offset for the cross bar.

At 03:00 PM 1/26/2005, Mike Miller wrote:

>I was kind of hoping for some list wisdom as to what others have done for a
>fix. I doubt my car is unique. Maybe it just never rips that last 3/4 inch.
>It's been drilled in the path of the crack a few times without helping any.
>I'm thinking a piece of Ti fastened across crack might help.
>200q20v mailing list

1991 200 20v Q Avant Titan Grey
1991 200 20v Q Avant Indigo Mica
1991 90 20v Q Red
1990 CQ silver (awaiting S2 engine transplant)

Chelmsford Ma, USA