VIN on a 200

Phil Rose pjrose at
Tue May 10 14:45:15 EDT 2005

At 12:49 PM -0500 5/10/05, michael wrote:

Yes, I now realize what you're getting at. Frankly I never noticed
the discrepancy in the Bentley chart before--I'd always focused
attention on the (to me) more-important serial number at the end. As
to what Audi "meant" by that "G" designation--well, they obviously
meant it to mean (or imply) the 200 4-dr sedan body, but why that
description didn't get it into their decryption chart is anyone's

Maybe it's all just a sign that German encryption has never fully
recovered after the Allies acquired the Enigma Machine.

>G - 90 4-Door Sedan (1988-92)
>G - 100 4- Door Wagon (1989-92)
>G - Quattro 2-Door Coupe (1990)
>G - A6 Quattro (1995)
>No 200 sedans in this 'G' list. Therein lies the puzzle.
>On May 10, 2005, at 11:10 AM, Phil Rose wrote:
>>At 9:24 AM -0500 5/10/05, michael wrote:
>>>This is closer but too generic for Audi folks.
>>>What does Audi think they are encoding in a VIN?
>>I believe someone has posted for you the VIN translation as taken
>>from the Bentley shop manual. That seems a quite satisfactory
>>encoding for _my_ vehicles. So why the continued puzzlement about
>>what Audi "thinks they are encoding"? It seems clear to me from the
>>Bentley info (it does, typically, tell what Audi "thinks", AFAIK).
>>>200q20v mailing list
>>Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
>>'91 200q	(140K, Lago blue)
>>'91 200q   (64K, Tornado red)			mailto:pjrose at

Phil Rose
Rochester, NY
mailto:pjrose at