Violent Cutoff (I mean really violent)

Phil Rose pjrose at
Sat May 14 17:04:34 EDT 2005

At 4:34 PM -0400 5/14/05, Kneale Brownson wrote:
>I replaced the wastegate solenoid that I thought was preventing me from
>getting more than 1.3  bar  with a used one supplied kindly by Ingo.
>Started out the driveway with an eye on the gauge and saw 1.8 just before
>the car jerked violently.  Felt like I ran into a wall.  I thought I'd
>maybe hit the rev limiter, but when I've hit that in the past, power just
>disappeared.  This felt like I hit the brakes as hard as I could.
>Here's the old solenoid with a bunch of cracks in its plastic and the
>pretty patina of corroded copper winking through:

Whoa! That is one sh!tty looking WGFV. I can't imagine it's worked
for some years now.

>Ingo's solenoid was different in that the tab that's supposed to fit into a
>slot in the rubber hose from the air cleaner box (see the arrow in the
>image)  is 90 degrees farther around the assembly.  In other words, instead
>of being 90 degrees from the electric connector, like on the one I took
>out, Ingo's is 189 degrees from the connector.  Could this indicate that
>the solenoid is not correct for this car?  Could that be causing the
>violent cutoff?

The only violent cut-off that I've experienced has been caused by a
loose hose clamp "burping". Since you had just finished loosening and
retightening a bunch of clamps, I'd suspect a loose one could be your
problem. As to Ingo's WGFV--I guess it's possible it might be a kind
of valve designed to operate in reverse of normal (i.e., valve closed
when no signal applied rather than being open). That would lead to
excessive boost (and cutoff).

Phil Rose
Rochester, NY
mailto:pjrose at