Violent Cutoff (I mean really violent)

Brett Dikeman brett at
Sun May 15 02:19:16 EDT 2005

On May 14, 2005, at 4:34 PM, Kneale Brownson wrote:

> I replaced the wastegate solenoid that I thought was preventing me
> from
> getting more than 1.3  bar  with a used one supplied kindly by Ingo.
> Started out the driveway with an eye on the gauge and saw 1.8 just
> before
> the car jerked violently.

If you're seeing 1.8 bar in first or second, yeah, something's really

>   Felt like I ran into a wall.  I thought I'd
> maybe hit the rev limiter, but when I've hit that in the past,
> power just
> disappeared.  This felt like I hit the brakes as hard as I could.

Yeah, that would be the ECU doing a "HOLY #$@% !" and shutting
everything off.

> Ingo's solenoid was different in that the tab that's supposed to
> fit into a
> slot in the rubber hose from the air cleaner box (see the arrow in the
> image)  is 90 degrees farther around the assembly.

Oh.  Then it's the wrong valve.  Nevermind on the wastegate adjustment.

Somewhere, I have a picture of the original valve off my car from
right around when I bought it; I'll see if I can dig it out, but it
wasn't where I expected it to be.  Anyway, get the right valve from
someone who knows the cars (ie Mac at CPE, SJM, Rod, etc) so you get
the right PN.  I think it is in the archives, too.

(Dealer diagnosed it as a bad throttle position sensor, thankfully on
the PO's tab.  Instead, the bastard took the Audi logo tire valve
covers and switched radios on me.  Grrr!)