Mobil 1 High Performance 15W-50 No Longer Made - What To Use?

Andrew W. Schlueter andyschlueter at
Tue May 31 14:38:38 EDT 2005

My 200 ran all of its life on reg. oil, so when I got it 3k ago, I did A
semi synthetic 15w-30 and the other day I put in Mobil 1 0w40 full synthetic
with K&N hp-2005 filter. Runs much smoother then before.

My $.02,
Andrew W. Schlueter
'91 200TQ20V Avant
-----Original Message-----
From: 200q20v-bounces at [mailto:200q20v-bounces at] On
Behalf Of Brett Dikeman
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 2:02 PM
To: Steven Hauptmann
Cc: 200q20v at
Subject: Re: Mobil 1 High Performance 15W-50 No Longer Made - What To Use?

On May 31, 2005, at 9:27 AM, Steven Hauptmann wrote:

> I have read the same thing in the manual. Remember though that with
> synthetic oils, it's the second number that indicates the base
> stock. Ie, a
> 10W-30 uses a 30W as the base stock.

The second number isn't a "base stock", it's the weight of the oil at
operating temperature, 100 degrees C.

Anyway, temperature ranges are extended for synthetics, so 30w
synthetic should be fine for where 40w non-synthetic was stated.
I've been using 10w30 for years as have been a lot of other folks I
think, and...

...none of us are worse for wear.

[ducks, runs for cover]