Parking Brake cables, R&R

Peter Schulz pcschulz at
Tue Sep 20 18:48:35 EDT 2005

At 04:21 PM 9/20/2005, Bernie Benz wrote:
>Anyone have words of wisdom for this project?  How does one disengage them
>from their anchor points at the actuating pivot?  Can this be done without
>R&R'ing the exhaust system and drive shaft?
>Thanks,  Bernie
>200q20v mailing list

BTDT 3x...

Good news is that you DON'T have to drop the exhaust.  What you need are
some long-handled needle nose pliers to remove the parking cables from the

I found that I had to remove the cross member and heat shield - remove the
nuts and completely remove the cross member, remove the nuts holding the
heat shield and pull it to the front of the car.

The pivot is offset to one side - take note of that before removing the old
cable.  There are also two clips that hold the cable casing ends near the
pivot - I found that I could remove them by using a "cats paw" and pulling

I'll look for some digipics and send them to you....

1991 200 20v Q Avant Titan Grey
1991 200 20v Q Avant Indigo Mica
1991 90 20v Q Red
1990 CQ silver (awaiting S2 engine transplant)

Chelmsford Ma, USA