Auxiliary radiator and K26 Turbo Question

Ben Swann benswann at
Sat Dec 2 20:42:18 EST 2006

You can run without the aux radiator indefinitely.  You might want to install
one if you you are running more load and in higher temp, such as stop and go
in hot weather.

The K26 is a direct fit - may need to "clock" it  by rotating the housing if
the orientation is different, but the fittings are the same.

[Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 00:49:54 -0700

From: Leon <proleonk at>

Subject: Auxiliary radiator and K26 Turbo Question

To: 200q20v at

      <6cbaa2370611302349i3d2fac95l59aa3029f3ce136 at>

My auxiliary radiator mount got loose and ended up in the A/C compressor and
left me stranded on my day off. I temporary bypassed the radiator by
connecting a fitting heater hose between the two outlets on the main radiator,
like a loop back.

My question is: is it safe to be driving like this for extended periods of
time, or do i have to spend the $200 to get a new radiator?

Do any previous Turbo Audi models have those radiators, as I have not found

Also, I currently have the stock turbo, the K24, and I'm wondering if the K26
from an '86 5000 is a direct bolt up? I located one at the junkyard, and
considering taking it as a backup turbo.

Let me know,