Chipped mileage?

Eric_R_Kissell at Eric_R_Kissell at
Wed Feb 8 22:15:46 EST 2006

I run a MRC 2.4 bar chipset.

I see 20-21 mpg for my daily commute, which is 15 miles of gently rolling
state highway and county roads (60-64 mph) with a couple of miles of small
town multiple stoplights on the end.  This is without many high-boost
events. 195/65/15 snow tires on for winter but the results are similar with
either of my other two sets of tires.  I get 25-27 mpg for 3-4 hour
interstate highway trips in N Ohio and N Indiana.

As I remember it, this is essentially identical to what I was getting with
the stock 1.8 bar boost.

I really believe that the car is capable of better and that I have an issue
limiting mpg because I usually get 3-5 mpg better on the exact same routes
with my 1986 5000cstq that has a 1.8 bar chip/spring setup.

Maybe it is because of the roof rack on the Avant?

1991 200q 20vt Avant
1986 5000cstq 10vt Sedan