Fuel pump Question

Phil Rose pjrose at frontiernet.net
Mon Jan 9 12:50:25 EST 2006

At 11:14 AM -0500 1/9/06, Feelstranger wrote:
>hey folks,
>From what I gather, a 91 wagon may have one of two different size fuel
>pumps, correct?

There was only one style of pump as original equipment. Replacement
pumps now come on two styles--the newer style being slimmer (60 mm
dia.) and requiring an "adapter" to fit correctly.

The loud buzzing is a symptom commonly experienced with the older
style pumps. I actually haven't heard about any "new-style"
replacement pumps getting noisy and failing, although I'm sure some
must have. If I _had_ to guess, it would be that yours is the
original style pump. What's the mileage? If it's a very low-mileage
car you probably have the original (not just original style) pump.

>If so, is there a way to know which fuel pump is in there with out
>opening it up and looking?
>it has been complaining loudly for a while now...

Having a look at the pump is muuuuch easier job for the avant than
the sedan. No other way to know than to look.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(153K, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (64K, Tornado red)			mailto:pjrose at frontiernet.net