CV joint challenge

Ed Kellock ekellock at
Wed Jan 18 01:38:12 EST 2006

I had this happen when I had one of the bearing races installed backwards.

-----Original Message-----
From: 200q20v-bounces at [mailto:200q20v-bounces at] On
Behalf Of Chuck Pierce
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:11 PM
To: 200 list
Subject: CV joint challenge

I have pulled all four CV Joints apart and cleaned them, an interesting
procedure. Getting the outer CV's apart is an automotive Rubic's cube
type exercise.
I have the two outer CV joints and one of the inners back on the axle. When
putting the first  inner CV joint on the axle the CV joint locked up. I was
not using a socket to push it on, so I probably hit around the
joint. ( I used a socket the second time)
The bearings and the inner ring are able to be moved around, but the
center where the axle goes and the
outer do not move at all. I have tried to knock the center loose but no

Any Ideas?

I would think that the center and outer would be independent of each
other, but they are locked up solid.

Chuck Pierce
91 200tq Avant