airbag reset

c1j1miller at c1j1miller at
Sat Jul 15 13:33:16 EDT 2006

Industry standard used to be "replace after ten years".  Mercedes used
to inspect them every 5.  Generally, now the industry no longer
specifies replacement intervals at all, even for the older ones.  I'd
guess long term inspection shows they're pretty stable and will
function a long time.

Audi TSB group 69 number 05-02 from Feb. 7, 2005 says:

Since introduction on Audi vehicles, replacement of Airbag units has
been recommended after a period of between 10 and 15 years.

Please inform the customer that Audi no longer recommends Airbag
replacement at these or other intervals."

I don't have the schematic for the 2x2 used with the airbag connector.
shows the connection for the ECU; it uses power and ground on one black
connector, and the other one (white connector from the scan tool) is a
K line (blue wire) and an L line (yellow wire).   You don't use the
scan tool's blue test lead for the airbag controller.

The power/ground is used for powering the scan tool, if needed.  I
don't know if you need both other wires for the airbag controller, or
if one is sufficient.

Usually you do need the key "on" while completing diagnostics.  I'd
also make sure the fuse isn't blown.

Chris Miller, Bolton, MA  c1j1miller at
'97 Audi A4tq, '91 coupe q, '85 4ksq, '81 VW Scirocco
'91 200q20v site ==>