Throttle Cable end

Kenneth Keith auditude at
Mon Jun 5 13:07:36 EDT 2006

Phil Rose <pjrose at> wrote:
> At 3:47 PM -0400 6/4/06, Kneale Brownson wrote:
> >Isn't it just a stop to keep the cable from pulling off the thing that
> >rotates when the cable is pulled?  Aren't there crimp-on things (like a
> >lead sinker for a fishing line, except more robust) that could be attached
> >to the end of the cable for the same purpose?
> No, it's not the ball-end "sinker" on the end of the cable that comes
> apart. It's the piece of molded plastic (on the lever arm) that is
> meant to retain the cable ball-end.

I think the rest of us with unbroken throttle body cams should take
the opportunity to make sure that when our accelerator pedals are
fully depressed, that the throttle body stop isn't what's stopping the

The throttle body should be at WOT when the pedal is floored, not
before.  If the throttle body stops opening before the pedal is
floored, then the extra tension on the cable and cam is not necessary
and can be harmful, perhaps causing this type of failure.