alternators issues

PeterBergin at PeterBergin at
Tue Jun 6 15:02:31 EDT 2006

Curious, I just took out my old alternator this morning (UPS) due with a
rebuilt any moment.
My problem was that occasionally the alternator would just stop working or
low voltage when idling.  The Bentley was a little week an replacement
procedures and getting it out was a bit of a PITA.  At 200k and replaced  brushes at
160k, I decided to get a rebuilt one.  Brushes ware still over  1/2 in. long,
however some pretty deep wear groves on the shaft.
Any tips on reinstalling and does the long bar that goes to the AC mount
need to be loosened to adjust/install?
Thanks Pete
91 Avant