Rear Main Seal

Kneale Brownson kneale at
Fri Sep 29 16:57:04 EDT 2006

The pix at    shows
the way Audi is supplying new rear main seals now, along with the gasket
for the old plate.  The new assembly has a seal already installed in a
plate that replaces the old one.  I've not yet removed the OEM plate, but
I'm wondering whether it has the sealing material that's the black line on
the new plate????  I presume the non-O O-ring type seal in the new plate
eliminates the gasket????    Bentley doesn't describe this type of seal
replacement system.  I presume one removes the white plastic piece that
keeps the seal in a nice, round, shape before starting the