one more oil story

Mike Del Tergo mdeltergo at
Fri Feb 2 19:56:16 EST 2007

This one is squarely on the PIC.  Checking the oil level and cap pre flight is the responsibility of the pilot.
Reading with amusement about the monkey-boy and other oil filtertribulations--reminded me...  A few years ago, I was flying my dad's Cessna210 out of a small airport in Oregon.  The mechanic had just topped up theengine oil.  Immediately after lift-off I noticed a slight oil slick startingup the windscreen.  Yanking around to a short pattern, while keeping an eyeon the engine oil pressure my dad and I put it on short final.  By touch downthe oil had completely covered one half of the windscreen making it nearlytotally unusable.  Turns out the FAA-certified mechanic had become distractedand had failed to tighten the oil filler cap.  Lucky it didn't trash the $25Kengine...Ken
Check out all that glitters with the MSN Entertainment Guide to the Oscars