Question regarding UFO brakes

Mike Miller mikemilr at
Mon Jul 9 20:51:47 EDT 2007

I've always just opened the bleeder valve, pushed the piston back all the
way and popped in the new pad. Takes longer to jack the car up and get the
wheel off than to change a pad.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ben Swann
To: krufino at
Cc: 200q20v at
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2007 6:04 PM
Subject: Question regarding UFO brakes

Brute force and a bit of conniving with a hammer/crowbar - I have seen some
instructions showing to cut the pad edge down at an angle to make assembly
disassembly easier.  You'll simply have to remove some pad material.  Also
making sure the calipers are fully retracted may help.

My recall is everytime I've done this job I run into this problem, so you
not alone.