Subject: 96 A6Q Intermittent start

c1j1miller at c1j1miller at
Wed May 2 14:24:28 EDT 2007

Eric:  A typical no start issue with the 12v v6 is the Hall effect
timing sensor on the back of the driver's side head.  Held in with 2
10mm bolts; not so hard to swap out.  I've got a spare if you'd like to
try it out.

Chris Miller, Bolton, MA  c1j1miller at
'97 Audi A4tq, '91 coupe q, '85 4ksq, '81 VW Scirocco
'91 200q20v site ==>

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Huppert" <ehuppert at>
To: <quattro at>, "200q20v" <200q20v at>

Sorry for the post here, but think the type 44 gets a tad more traffic!

Had bought, rehabbed and sold ($1k in parts) a clean 96 A6 Avant in the
fall. Was sold locally to a guy I know...

He just called and they're having a intermittent start issue.
car won't start (when hot), but if allowed to sit will start after a
Does crank, but doesn't start. Tonight they had to let it sit for 45
before it would fire.

Going to run VAG Com tomorrow morning to and see if that shows any

don't know if it's fuel or ignition related, hopefully able to narrow it
down in the morning once he gets here!

Any BTDT's? Going to surf around and see what I can find, but figured
ask around first.

from AOL at