rear brakes

Bernie Benz b.benz at
Fri May 4 10:26:11 EDT 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 6:16 AM, Peter Schulz wrote:

> If you have indeed turned the caliper piston in all the way, and the
> pads don't want to fit, then you may have the wrong pads
> ;-)
> Otherwise, try to turn the caliper in a bit further first.
> It's alot easier to put a hose on the caliper bleeder and open it
> slightly while turning in the piston - it will relieve the fluid
> pressure that you are pushing against, and also drain the crap that's
> collected in the caliper instead of pushing it back into the brake
> line.
What fluid pressure? Only the 2’ head elevation difference between
the reservoir and the caliper.
IMO any caliper, F or R, not easily retracted should be removed,
disassembled and cleaned out.
> In my experience, especially with very well worn pads where the
> piston has extended itself pretty far from the caliper body, you make
> want to  "start" the piston by turning it counter or anti clockwise a
> bit first.
Relying on the passive wear sensors, I always run pads to that point.
Retraction still should be easy.
> Also, you _did_ completely release the ebrake before you turned in
> the piston, right?
A reasonable idea In that it is difficult to remove a caliper with
the ebrake engaged, but why would you think that that would make a
diff in piston retraction?