AC Clutch Replacement - Any BTDT

Ben Swann benswann at
Thu Nov 15 14:52:53 PST 2007

How does the clutch come off.  What does that tool do.  I ordered a clutch assembly and
don’t have the specific too yet, but can’t imagine what it does that a puller won’t.
What is it  - a puller? Something to lock the pully?.  I was not able to pound, pull or
pry it off after removing the nut – what is retaining the pully/assembly – does it screw
off?  Do I just keep at it?  Is there some captive key or  ????  Any more BTDT on this
would be helpful.

From: Kneale Brownson [mailto:knealeski at]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:27 PM
To: Ben Swann; quattro at; 200q20v at
Subject: Re: AC Clutch Replacement - Any BTDT

There's a tool you absolutely need to get the clutch separated from the compressor.  I
got mine at AutoZone.  It's called Tool 20075.  I think I paid about $25.  Zelenda wants
10 times that for a similar tool.  I think AutoZone will loan or rent the tool if you
get the clutch from them.  Or they'll sell you the tool and then take it back for a
refund of almost what you paid.

Ben Swann <benswann at> wrote:

Can it be done by mere mortals? Any BTDT, where to get the parts, etc.

Oh compressor is Nippondenso from 200Q20V (or whatever it came with).