my "one in a million thing" Distributor gear failure not really Symptom

suffolkd at suffolkd at
Wed Sep 5 21:18:21 EDT 2007

 Ford SHO guys seem to have a cam pulley breaking issue.

FWIW: They WELD them to keep the breakage and catastrophic carnage from happening......

I guess we should "thank" the Audi God that all that spins there (in the back) is a distributor gear, not the entire valve train like in the SHO when their front gear shears....

-Scott by BOSTON? link below:

-----Original Message-----
From: 200q20v-request at
To: 200q20v at

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:24:54 -0400
From: Phil Rose <pjrose at>
Subject: my "one in a million thing" The Glen

Last Tuesday my car's engine quit suddenly and silently at Watkins
Glen during a run session. The car (my Lago Blue '91 200q)) had been
running smoothly and normally the previous day. Then, on day 2 during
my first run session,  I did 4 or 5 normal laps; in the next lap I
powered through the "bus stop" and tracked out under medium throttle.
Cruising around the "carousel" I eased toward the downhill apex and
squeezed on full throttle as I passed the apex. But there was
absolutely nothing smoke...the
sound of one hand clapping? I was able to coast the car past the
cones and onto the unused "NASCAR" straight/bypass in order to get
off the track. After several attempts to get the engine restarted, I
got a tow back to the garage.

The engine turned over normally, but there was there was no spark. I
diagnosed the problem as a broken plastic distributor gear--a good
possibility given the fact that I carried Bernie's beautiful metal
gear around (as a good luck charm I guess) but had never gotten
around to installing it.