ADMIN: move FAQs

Dan Simoes dans at
Thu Sep 6 15:11:02 EDT 2007

Thanks for the contributions.  I wanted to quickly address some of
the common questions I've been getting bombarded with :)
I am carefully reading over all suggestions/offers and will reply
individually, but here's a quick reply so everyone is in the loop.

Q: Where do you live now?  What do you do?
A: I live in Walnut Creek CA and work in downtown SF.  I run tech
operations for a startup company and have been working in the IT
field since 1989.
I'm a unix/linux administrator at heart, but I also have an MBA in
Marketing.  I've been married for 14 years and have 3 kids (2 girls 7
& 5, and a 15 month old son).

Q: Why do you insist on owning the hardware?  Wouldn't a shared
server/grid solution work better/be cheaper?
A: I'm not opposed to shared/managed hosting, but it comes down to
economics.  Once the box is built, costs will run $50/mo.  A
dedicated managed server will run around $150/mo, so after month 6,
the colocated box solution is less expensive.

Q: I'll let you run the list on my server for free.  What do you need?
Q: Run it here on my cable/DSL/FIOS connection.
A: While I appreciate these offers, I prefer to keep the lists close
to me.  Businesses go under, people move, and the last thing I want
is instability.
This is the main reason I don't want to run it at my own home.
With that said, I am examining all offers.

Q: I donated in the past and no one acknowledged me!
A: I'm sorry.  I do try to reply to all paypal contributions with a
thank you note, but may have missed yours.  People who sent checks to
my old PO box may have gotten mail returned, as I did not keep up the
box after I moved.  I will also put up a new page thanking people for
their 2007 contributions (if you do NOT wish to be listed, let me know).
Also, my personal paypal account turned into a business account (I
started and ran for several years) so with the volume of
daily transactions I was seeing, some of the contributions probably
got buried.  I sold that business, so there should be no problem in
being able to audit and recognize contributions going forward.

Q: Are my contributions tax deductible?