PS wheel bearing

Schaible, David David.Schaible at
Tue Apr 29 12:00:48 PDT 2008

Bottom line is that there should not be bearing noise at all....on this
car you cant even give the wheel a decent spin test...w/o disconnecting
some linkage.

I will check the clearances as well b4 messing about w/ bearings,
sometimes those inner fender liners get tweaked

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Kellock [mailto:ekellock at]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:38 PM
To: Nathan Winters
Cc: 200q20v at
Subject: Re: PS wheel bearing

I would suggest that your difference in bearing noise is a function of
the size of the wheel primarily and possibly somewhat of the tire.
Geometrically, with a 8.5-inch wide et30 wheel, you're putting more
leverage on that bearing since more of the wheel/tire is further out
away from the center line of the car.  Basically you're leaning no the
bearing harder and more unevenly.

On 4/29/08, Nathan Winters <natewin at> wrote:
> When I run my snows 265/65-15 I get very little to zero noise from my
drivers-side rear wheel bearing.
> When I run my summer 235/45-17 tyres I get quite a drone from the
drivers-side rear bearing.
> Turn left the sound goes away, straight/right the noise is about
> Are the tyres the same size as before?
> I'm not sure what the steel rims that my snows are on but my summer
tyres are on Borbet Type TS:  17x8.5 30mm offset.