coilpacks for SEM

chris gregg loxxrider at
Wed Aug 13 14:07:44 PDT 2008

Alright, this is my first time attempting to use this mailing list, so i don't even know if I am doing this right.

Let me introduce myself first. My name is chris, and I recently bought a MINT 200q20v. My old car was a MKIV jetta 1.8t with a 50 trim that made low 300whp figures on pump gas and a daily tune. I bought the 200 for a reason, and that is the glorious engine that sits under that big old hood :)

It will be staying in the 200, as I love the sleeper aspect of the car...and because the car is just that perfect. It was owned by a doctor, and then by a lawyer, and always garaged. The only thing I had to replace on the car was the block breather. I replaced it with my own custom catch can setup employing 034's new vortex catch can a few months ago.

Now that I have sold my previous car (this past monday), I can really start to dig into the 200. Within the next week or two, the car will be receiving full standalone engine management by lugtronics. Perhaps I should elaborate on the general goals for the car. Its pretty simple. 35r at the smallest, gt4088r at the biggest, and yes I know I am crazy...but its something I have come to terms with a long time ago :)  I am an Aerospace engineer in training (at the University of Florida) and this is exactly the kind of thing I love to do. I like having a tough/interesting project and solving all of the issues that may come up along the way. I have more fun buildig cars than I do driving them I think.

Anyhow, I am still new to the 3B here goes the first question. The lugtronic system will include a full coil-on-plug setup, but I need to figure out what coils to use first. I honestly dont want to use the 034 high-output coils because they are just too damned expensive. I would like to be able to make 1.8t coils work, but some of the 034 people are discouraging me about them. I personally had great success with them on my BT 1.8t project and they lasted 8 years. Maybe its different with them on a 3B : / Of course, I used the bolt-down style coils which were known to be much better than the push-down ones. I asssume I'd probably have to use the push-down ones in a setup like I am talking there is no place to bolt them down (doh)

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone could give me some answers to this fairly simple quesion.

Thanks in advance for any help!