sloppy shifter

Peter Schulz pcschulz at
Mon Jul 7 05:47:15 PDT 2008

There's a ball & socket on this "arm", and its a press fit. Once it
becomes sloppy on the arm, you will either have to replace it, or
weld it to the arm.

BTDT on both my 200s, and not that easy a job without a lift....

At 09:23 PM 7/6/2008 -0400, Brett Dikeman wrote:

>On Jul 6, 2008, at 4:49 PM, robert weinberg wrote:
> > alright, one last thing for now. the shifter fells really sloppy -
> > does it need new busings? half the time i can't tell if i'm in
> > reverse when backing up - until i let out the clutch a little.
>First and easiest thing to check- the bolt on the "collar" that goes
>around the shift selector shaft coming out of the transmission.  You
>can see it from the driver's side, with a flashlight.  Despite being
>buried, it's fairly easy to get to with your arm.  If it loosens,
>shift quality goes to pot. If it is loose, remove, clean, and apply
>low-strength locktite.
>Next suspect would be the joint in the two-part shift linkage.
>200q20v mailing list

-Peter Schulz
Chelmsford Ma, USA

1995.5 S6 Avant Emerald/Ecru
1995.5 S6 Avant Silver/Platinum
1991 200 20v Q Avant Titan Grey (for sale)
1991 90 20v Q Red
1991 CQ silver  (eS2 recipient)