need tie rods

Peter Schulz pcschulz at
Fri Jul 11 19:04:31 PDT 2008

Given the shop labor rate that I had to pay last time I went for an
alignment, you might be better off with the new ones..

Given that you appear to be paying for the maintenance, it might be a
good idea.

My lesson learned?  Next time I'm pulling the entire tire rod AHEAD
of time and loosening and lubricating the adjuster...
Even with a liberal application of antiseize, after 1-2 New England
winters, the adjusters will corrode and require a torch for loosening.

At 06:17 PM 7/11/2008 -0700, robert weinberg wrote:
>just got the car back from getting tires. i expected something to
>come up. you guys are right though - this thing will cost a pretty
>penny before it's in fine running condition. who knows what else
>awaits me. probably should have bought a cleaner example, but what's
>done is done.
>the guy said he couldn't align the front as the inner tie rods were
>frozen - can't adjust them.
>i searched around (as did he) - seems you can either get outer tie
>rod ends or the whole tie rod assembly.
>best price i can find for both is from
>left - $59
>right: $93
>these look correct?
>200q20v mailing list

-Peter Schulz
Chelmsford Ma, USA

1995.5 S6 Avant Emerald/Ecru
1995.5 S6 Avant Silver/Platinum
1991 200 20v Q Avant Titan Grey (for sale)
1991 90 20v Q Red
1991 CQ silver  (eS2 recipient)