Shudder? Possible cause uncovered?

jlagnese at jlagnese at
Tue Mar 4 12:20:38 PST 2008

So I will try to replace the seal and check the
tightness of the bolt holding in the flange. The
bearing problem would be taking apart the tranny?
I'm not too optimistic on my prospects of
successfully doing that. Maybe remove it and bring
it somewhere.

---- Original message ----

  Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:30:26 -0800
  From: Bernie Benz <b.benz at>
  Subject: Re: Shudder? Possible cause uncovered?
  To: <jlagnese at>

  OK John, I apologize!
  The axle half shaft has but one flange, the
  inboard tranny flange. The other end is supported
  by the hub thru the CV joint.
  Either the tranny flange is loose on its tranny
  output shaft or the diff bearings have lost their
  preload. But 1/8” !!!
  1st is easy check when replacing seal.  2nd is
  tranny overhaul, resetting bearing preload and
  gear clearances.
  On Mar 4, 2008, at 8:22 AM, <jlagnese at>

    There is up and down play on the axle flange. It
    is probably about 1/8" to 1/4" in either