BOSE sounds

YBK ybk at
Sat Nov 22 16:50:00 PST 2008

Front amplifiers suffer from the same part failures as rear ones.
Many years ago I sent  one of the fronts to - still works fine. Tempting to send the second - not high enough on the priority list.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Kenneth Keith" <auditude at>
Date: Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 6:19 pm
Subject: BOSE sounds

I was able to swap in a different factory head unit, this one refurbished, and it didn't ask me for a security code.  The rear speakers that were just replaced under the recall campaign sound really good, but the front ones, especially the driver's side, sound like something is wrong.  There was a screeching sound and a lot of crackly static noise like a blown speaker or loose connection, but the screeching has seemingly gone away.  Also, it was making this really loud *BEEP* noise when I would hit scan or select or set a preset.   That crazy beeping has stopped, so I don't know if some
questionable circuit has warmed up and maybe a ground path has been

I wonder if there is something in the front door speakers that I can resolder or replace that isn't covered by the recall campaign.  I'm actually somewhat impressed by the fidelity of the factory rear speakers, so I'm wondering if I can get the whole setup up to par how it would sound.

Does anyone know if the recall only applies to rear speakers, and if so, is there something I can do to correct a problem with the fronts?