Rotary shaft seal leaks, was Re: massive coolant leak

robert weinberg centaurus3200 at
Tue Sep 23 10:19:25 PDT 2008

would the "snake oil" (something like CD2, i assume) help a crank seal or an oil pan seal?

--- On Tue, 9/23/08, Bernie Benz <b.benz at> wrote:
From: Bernie Benz <b.benz at>
Subject: Rotary shaft seal leaks, was Re: massive coolant leak
To: centaurus3200 at
Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 10:06 AM

Guys, don’t put up with such leaks!  Inasmuch as they are a simple
and inexpensive fix.
Engine “:snake oil“, (engine oil seal restorer) is the tested fix.
One bottle in the engine oil, ½ bottle in the tranny, the other ½ in
the rear diff. Drive for 1K miles, leaks gone! Wash down the engine
bay and under side such that you can monitor the situation. I have
never had to change a rotary shaft seal in 40 years of DIY, and my
cars are all dry of any fluid leaks.