No subject

Wed Apr 15 09:17:53 PDT 2009

many different "packages" available, some using OEM Audi parts, that =
require a different caliper bracket, either RS2 or custom.  This gets =
back to the realm of renewable parts availability.

Having said that, on my 90 V8, I am running a set of UFO rotors and =
pads that I pulled from a car in a junkyard.  I totally lucked out and =
seemed fairly fresh prior to the frontal impact that detoured it to the
yard.  A very hit and miss way to go, but still one of the =

I've seen full UFO strut assemblies available in the Marketplace from =
to time.  I bought one a while ago to restore UFOs to my Avant, not =
to keep the big brake setup on it.  When I eventually get to swapping it
out, I'll save the BB setup for one of my V8s. =20

I think you're closer to being able to pass inspection than you =
thought, though it may take some out-of-the-box thinking.

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry A Harper III [mailto:hah at]=20
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 10:49 AM
To: Ed Kellock; 'Kent McLean'; 'quattro'; '200 20v List'
Subject: RE: [V8] UFO brakes

Looks like is still up, it's true there hasn't been much (any)
activity on their mailing list of late. When I joined, the deal was that
they wanted at least 4 orders for the UFO-only brackets to get the cost =
into the "reasonable" range from the machine shop. Counting me there =
only ever 1 or 2 people who wanted to order for UFOs since I joined =
about 5
years ago(?) no UFO brackets got made other than the =
ones. Then after the brackets you need calipers & pads, correct flex =
rotors, wheels & tires to fit over the rotors, etc. Not really something
you'd throw on in a weekend to meet an inspection deadline. Or maybe =
people would but not me.

New UFO rotors sound a lot cheaper, to me. Why do you "need" new? Past =
limit? Inspecting shop needs to make boat payment? Wobbly? Tried the
"italian brake tuneup"?

I'm still on the pads & rotors I got with my car 12 years and 50k miles =
I don't drive it that much and when I do I am gentle with the brakes - =
if I
stay away from any track fun or angry commuting they'll probably go =
12 years. The GTI has been through 1 set of front rotors and 3 sets of =
pads in 15 years and 160k miles.

Checked by AVG -