failed emissions

Brandon Rogers brogers at
Tue Aug 4 13:07:18 PDT 2009

Well here is my update:
Put the cat back on.  Also changed 02, checked for vacuum/boost leaks (had
none), tightened any loosened EM nuts I could reach and u- cranked the WG
spring.  It barely passed on a "2nd chance" during the test.  Phew!
Something prolly is going on as my NOx was still higher than my last test 2
yrs ago with no cat (that passed)  They have reduced the allowable number -
and my old number would still have passed with the more stringent guidelines
- so I will likely pursue this some more - I guess I'm curious....

-----Original Message-----
From: rbade12 at [mailto:rbade12 at]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 11:37 AM
To: brogers at; 200q20v at
Subject: Re: failed emissions

Wisconsin eliminated emission testing for pre-96 [non OBD] cars because the
DMV felt is was cost ineffective, not enough cars to warrant sniffing

Cleaner is better I suppose, but where's the right place to draw the line? I
think it's a bit ridiculous to make it much harder, such as your case.

I suspect putting your cat back on will take care of the issue.

Good luck,    Bob