Winter Tire Recommendations

Jeremy Palenchar jeremy at
Mon Jan 5 09:32:33 PST 2009

I just started reading the list again as I am starting to resurrect my 200
20v Avant to handle Seattle's new winter "Snopacolypse" weather patterns.

I put a set of Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 tires on my 17" rims based on
tests done by Consumer Reports...

These were CR's top-rated performance winter tires and they rated 20 points
higher than the Nokian WR tires.

I went with these on my 17" wheels because they were not in stock in Seattle
for my 16" wheels.

I got these in Seattle at Discount Tire for $137/tire + junk fees.

I can say my brand new Goodyears beat the pants off a set of Nokian's with
50% tread wear. I had the opportunity to drive one right after the other.

So far - absolutely no complaints about the Goodyear's.