Brake fittings (conections to front UFO flex hose) frozen,

Geraint Lloyd geraintlloyd_qc at
Mon Jan 12 06:57:34 PST 2009

I assume that you are replacing the flexi hoses.

The 1st advice would be MORE heat

You can, in extremis use a grinder to VERY CAREFULLY shave the sides of the
female part of the flexible hose off (like on 2 opposite sides) to release
the pressure on the threads. The grinder heat might also help.
Obviously this wrecks the flexi hose and potential for a f%$k up is HUGE.

If the worst happens you can always shorten the fixed lines with bits from
FLAPS as suggested by kneal

-----Original Message-----
From: 200q20v-bounces at [mailto:200q20v-bounces at] On
Behalf Of alancordeiro at
Sent: 12 January 2009 01:26
To: 200q20v at
Subject: Brake fittings (conections to front UFO flex hose) frozen,

I spent a frustrating two days waiting for penetrating fluid to do its work,
but as of tonight, I have still not succeeded in separating either of the
two fixed lines from the flexible rubber hose on the driver's front wheel.

After jacking up the car, I pre treated the fittings with liquid wrench and
waited a few hours before attempting to open. When they would not budge, I
kept adding the penetrating fluid spray and waited overnight to try again.
as of this afternoon and evening, I have only manager to round off the upper
nut, and partially round off the lower nut, with my 11 mm flare wrench. I
even used a vicegrip on the upper nut, but they both seem to be welded to
the intermediate flex hose. Besides Liquid wrench, I also used PB Blaster,
and as small amount of heat.

I have put back the wheel and parked the car outside....awaiting some BTDT
advice from this group, thanks.
(Patient is a '91 200q with the original hose and UFO calipers, I believe
the fittings have never been opened since they were assembled at the
factory, unless the previous owner did them in the first seven years and

Alan Cordeiro

Checked by AVG -