Smoking Like Cheech & Chong

Andy Schor walbum at
Mon Jul 20 09:18:37 PDT 2009

Yesterday after a weekend of vintage races and car shows here in Pittsburgh, I figured I was pushing my luck driving the '76 Lancia Scorpion around I brought it home.  I headed off in the Audi towards family dinner at my sister-in-law's house.  After about 8-10 miles in congested traffic (someone had broken down blocking the road), I took the exit and was cruising through the town (~25 mph) then suddenly there was a huge plume of smoke (whiteish) that smelled like oil.  I thought it was wafting forward from the car behind me, but it was actually coming from my tailpipe.  I pulled over, checked oil pressure gauge (5 bar on throttle, 2 bar at idle), oil level registered OK on the dipsitck.  This came on suddenly, there was no unusual noise, I wasn't even accelerating enthusiastically.  I let it sit for a bit, then started it again, same condition.  I parked it there and this morning had the car flat bedded to the mechanic shop (who was still unpacking from the vintage races).  I doubt he'll even be able to look at it for a while.

Anybody have BTDTs or thoughts on how much I should brace my self for the wallet vac?

'91 Avant 297K miles