clutch bearing going bad? how long do I have?

kneale at kneale at
Tue May 26 14:17:25 PDT 2009

Throwout bearing usually makes a high-pitched squealing noise.   Does it
make noise in neutral with the clutch out (like at a traffic light).

If I had to replace the throwout bearing, I'd probably replace the clutch
and have the flywheel resurfaced.  If I had the flywheel off, I'd probably
replace the rear main seal too.

If I had to take out the tranny, which would be required for the above
services, I'd also probably replace the tranny mounting fixtures.

Original Message:
From: Jean-François Roldan roldan_jf at
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 17:01:01 -0400
To: 200q20v at
Subject: clutch bearing going bad? how long do I have?

On my last trip to town yesterday, I noticed a vibration on the clutch
pedal and an occasional whining noise that stopped when I pressed on the

Shifting was fine, no slipping, like usual. How long do I have until the
bearing does any more damage?

Clutch was replaced 80 000 miles ago or so. Should I simply replace the
whole thing while having work done there?

This is my dd and only vehicle, I probably won't be able to get a spot at
my mechanics until next week, so looks like I will be biking...

Any ideas on other stuff that I could do in there apart from the main seal?

1991 200tqa 20v

Avec Windows Live, vous gardez le contact avec tous vos amis au même
200q20v mailing list

-------------------------------------------------------------------- - Premium Microsoft® Windows® and Linux web and application
hosting -