clutch bearing going bad? how long do I have?

alancordeiro at alancordeiro at
Tue May 26 15:04:52 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-François Roldan" <roldan_jf at>

On my last trip to town yesterday, I noticed a vibration on the clutch pedal
and an occasional whining noise that stopped when I pressed on the pedal.

>>  When my clutch throwout bearing went bad, it squealed when I pressed the
>> pedal in..

Shifting was fine, no slipping, like usual. How long do I have until the
bearing does any more damage?
>>  I added 1000 miles before I did the clutch job.....however you are
>> taking a chance that you grind off your clutch fork if the braring ever
>> seizes.

Clutch was replaced 80 000 miles ago or so. Should I simply replace the
whole thing while having work done there?
>> which begs the question, was the throwout bearing also replaced at that
>> time? those bearings go well over 100k, mine died at 220k. i may be
>> something else

This is my dd and only vehicle, I probably won't be able to get a spot at my
mechanics until next week, so looks like I will be biking...

Any ideas on other stuff that I could do in there apart from the main seal?
>> look over what was done the last time the clutch was replaced. If it does
>> end up you're having to go in again....I would swap only the throwout
>> bearing. The seal and clutch should still have 60-100k of life, unless
>> you are an "all city" driver, do repeated high rpm launches (in which
>> swap out the plates as well).

1991 200tqa 20v

Avec Windows Live, vous gardez le contact avec tous vos amis au même