[20v] no spark/start codes&questions

Ben Swann benswann at verizon.net
Mon Oct 29 13:11:32 PDT 2007

My first comment to you and all – if you own this or any older VAG car – you need a
Bently, unless you plan to have someone else service it.

Dead middle of window means the hall sensor is pointing at the middle of the hall window
(the square cut in the rotating shield) when engine at TDC.  When engine at TDC
distributor is set correct when middle of rotor points to the notch in the distributor.

TDC is when the 0 on the flywheel (there is a hash mark on the flywheel too) is next to
the offset part of the cutout in the hole in the bellhousing.  A lot of words to poorly
describe what a picture in the Bentley shows clearly.  The dimple in the front timing
cover that is sometime used to locate timing belt with crank-pully is not a reliable
method of finding TDC, since the harmonic balancer hubs tend to slip.

The cam dimple can be off too and the 20V setting is different than the 20V setting.

You really need to get yourself a Bentley.

Ben

Please note change of email address to benswann at verizon.net

  _____