[20v] Intermittent no spark condition - 1989 Audi 90Q

J.B. Hebert jhebert at wrxtra.com
Thu Dec 4 10:12:28 PST 2008

I have an '89 90Q that is giving me trouble.  Occasionally it will
either fail to start or will die while driving.  Sometimes it can be
restarted, and other times it cannot be.  When it will not restart, it
cranks fine but there is no spark present at the coil or plugs.
Inevitably, when I have it towed back to the shop (thank you AAA), it
starts right up and I'm unable to reproduce the problem to
troubleshoot.  I installed a known good coil/ignition module from
another car, thinking that they might be bad, and the car was fine for
several weeks.  Then the other night it died again on me and wouldn't
restart.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is there an interlock that prevents spark
when the fuel pressure is too low, like on some cars I've worked on?
Could this be an issue with the alarm?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

J.B. Hebert