[20v] Intermittent no spark condition - 1989 Audi 90Q

J.B. Hebert jhebert at wrxtra.com
Thu Dec 18 20:28:24 PST 2008

I checked the distributor again, and sure enough the connector that goes
through the body of the distributor to the hall sender was broken and
loose.  Most likely one of the wires is making intermittent connection
inside the plastic.  I ordered a rebuilt distributor since I couldn't
find the hall sensor unit by itself anywhere (actually, I ordered *2*
distributors, but that's another story).  So I got the new distributor
in and the car is running well and I'm ready to set the timing.  I read
in the service manual that in '89, the timing is done completely with
the Audi tool that plugs into the service port on the transmission to
get the readings and doesn't make any reference to using a timing
light.  Can an '89 or newer car still be timed via a timing light on
cylinder 1, (using the '88 and earlier procedure) or will that give
erroneous readings?

Thanks in advance.

J.B.